top of page


There are two general categories of residency visas: Temporary and Residency visas (Temporary and Permanent). Below you will find descriptions of the most common types of visas issued to foreigners in Ecuador.

Temporary Visa in Ecuador

Temporary Tourist Visa (VT) 90 day extension: Upon entering Ecuador, tourists will receive a T-3 tourist visa, valid for 90 days. However, if a foreigner wants to stay more than 90 days within a year, a Special Tourist Visa ca be obtained, which allows you to stay in the country for up to 180 more days. This visa only will be issued once every 5 years. For any temporary visa extension to be approved, the applicant will need to provide documentation stating the motive for extending their stay in Ecuador and proof of financial solvency.

Residency Visas in Ecuador

The Temporary Residency Visa (TRV) allows you to be out of the country up to 90 days, and no more than 180 days within 2 years to keep this migratory status without any fines or cancellation from the government. The Temporary Residency Visa is only valid for 2 years and can be renewed just once.

After 21 months of being a temporary resident of Ecuador a foreigner can apply for a Permanent Residency Visa (PRV). Under the Permanent Residency Visa you are allowed to stay out of the country for up to 180 days during the first two years, each year. After the second year you can be out of the country up to 5 years to keep Permanent Residency Visa status. There are economic fines if a person doesn't follow these rules.

1. Worker (Trabajador): A person who is authorized to do a paid activity under an employee-employer relationship in the public service, private industry or self-employed;

2. Independent means (rentista): A person who has their own economic resources brought from abroad, from the income generated by those resources or any other legal income originated from external economic or any economic income generated in Ecuador;

3. Pensioner Visa: In order to apply for a pensioner visa, you must show you have a steady income from a reliable source such as Social Security or a corporate pension. The minimum monthly income required is $800 plus $100 per dependent.

4. Investor (Inversionista): A person who has assets and economic resources to develop productive or commercial activities;

5. Scientist, Researcher or Academic: A person who is specialized in scientific activities, researcher or academics, hired by public or private entities, or for a person who is part of the Ecuadorian education system to work on their specialty. The permit to stay will be renewed according to the duration of the program;

6. Athlete, artist, cultural agent: A person who is hired by a natural person or an entity to develop activities of this type;

7. Religious or religious volunteer of an organization with legal authorization and duly recognized by the Ecuadorian government: A person who develops activities related to religion;

8. Volunteer (Voluntario): A person who, by their own means or with the support of a Non Governmental Organization (NGO), in an altruistic and voluntary way, provide their services to the community according to the regulations of the Human Mobility Law of Ecuador.

9. Student (Estudiante): The person who comes to Ecuador to attend Basic Education, High school education, University education and Master's-level education as a regular student in a private or public educational facility, duly recognized by the Ecuadorian government, also for people who come to do an internship program. The permit to stay can be renewed according to the duration of the study program.

10. Professional, technician, technologist or master craftsman: A person who comes to Ecuador to develop a profession or a technical activity, technological or handcrafted activities, under the regulation of the law that controls all of these activities. This is for professionals with a 4-year degree from a recognized college or university. Click here for a list of the recognized colleges and universities (please note U.S. universities are listed under “Estados Unidos”). If your university is not on the list, you will need to submit a notarized, apostilled copy of your transcript(s) to the Ecuadorian Government.

11. International convention (Convenio): A person who enters Ecuador under the umbrella of what is stated in an International convention to which Ecuador has subscribed and recognized.

12. Dependent (Amparo), A person who can be dependent under the visa of a person holding migratory status: Sons, daughters, spouse or common law partner, legally recognized by the principal of one of the migratory categories, detailed above.

13. International Protection: A person who has been recognized by the Ecuadorian government under refugee status, asylum or stateless, and can not fulfill any of the requirements of the above mentioned categories, will be able to get the migratory status of international protection.

if you have any further questions reagarding what type of visa you should apply email us at

The EcuaAssist Team

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Take the theoretical

driver´s license



bottom of page