TAX REFUNDS FOR SENIORS
Those who have reached 65 years of age are now eligible for a tax refund on purchases of essential goods and services acquired for personal use and consumption. Invoices authorized by the SRI (Internal Revenue Service) are required to obtain the refund and the refund does not apply to goods and services acquired for commercial use.
Applicable essential goods and services:
Education/ education necessities
Maximum monthly refund:
As of January 2020, the maximum monthly tax refund amount corresponds to $96 (USD), while for previous years the refund amount was as follows:
· From January to May $105
· From June to December $90
· From January to April $219.60
· May $87.84
· From June to December $102.48
The refund request can be made both in person and virtually.
Basic requirements for requesting the refund in person:
Identity card (Cedula)
List of sales receipts
Tax request form for older adults
In the event that the request is submitted by a senior citizen (65+):
Fill out the authorization on the back of the application or complete the authorization online
Present the identity card (Cedula) of the beneficiary
Present the identity card (Cedula) and voting certificate of the person who submits the application
In the event that the request is signed by a third party:
A copy of the general or special power of attorney that empowers the third person to act on behalf of the beneficiary is required.
In the event that the application is submitted by a person of foreign nationality (and is not a naturalized citizen of Ecuador):
If you would like to request a tax return from a period prior to the issuance of your identity card (Cedula), present a copy of the document that proves the date of your registration with the Registry of Foreigners of the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Procedure to request the tax refund in person:
1. Fill out the return request form and provide a list of valid sales receipts.
2. Submit the application at the Internal Revenue Service (SRI) offices, along with the required documents mentioned above.
3. The request will be validated by the SRI prior to the registration of your personal data, bank account and settlement.
4. The SRI will issue a resolution with the certified refund amount. The taxpayer will be notified within a maximum period of 60 business days.
5. The refund will be credited to your bank account.
Requirements to request the tax refund online:
Taxpayer identification number
Access code for online services
Procedure to request the tax refund online:
1. Go to www.sri.gob.ec and choose the option “Devoluciones/IVA Adultos Mayores/Devolución por Internet”
2. Fill and upload the "Listado de comprobantes para solicitudes por internet" in the menu "Facturas Físicas"
3. Enter the "Facturas Electrónicas" menu and select the invoices for the year and period that you want to request the refund
4. Send the request once the upload of physical and electronic invoices is finished in the "Envío de solicitud" menu
5. Verify the number of the procedure generated within 24 hours of sending the request, in the Notificaciones Electrónicas / Buzón del Contribuyente menu
6. The SRI will issue a resolution with the certified refund amount. The taxpayer will be notified within a maximum period of 60 business days
7. The refund will be credited to your bank account
In this link you can watch a series of videos about the new changes to the immigration law in Ecuador and how they can affect you.
Or, you can book a 15 minutes FREE OF CHARGE appointment here!
The EcuaAssist Team
The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only.