Visa Options in Ecuador 


There are two general categories of visas: Temporary visitors and Residents (Temporary and Permanent). Below you will find descriptions of the most common types of visas issued to foreigners in Ecuador.



Temporary Visitors in Ecuador (Tourism)


Temporary Visa (VT) 90-day extension: Upon entering Ecuador, tourists will receive a T-3 admission stamp (tourist visa), valid for 90 days. However, if a foreigner wants to stay more than 90 days within a year. Also on top of this, a Special Tourist Visa can be obtained, which allows you to stay in the country for up to 180 more days. This visa only will be issued once every 5 years. For any temporary visa extension to be approved, the applicant will need to provide documentation stating the motive for extending their stay in Ecuador and proof of financial solvency.  You can apply online now due to the CORONAVIRUS regulations have been approved by the Ecuadorian Government. Apply Online here.



Residency Visas in Ecuador

The Temporary Residency Visa (TRV) allows you to be out of the country up to 90 days, and no more than 180 days within 2 years to keep this migratory status without any fines or cancellation from the government. The Temporary Residency Visa is only valid for 2 years and can be renewed just once.  


After 21 months of being a temporary resident of Ecuador, a foreigner can apply for a Permanent Residency Visa (PRV). Under the Permanent Residency Visa, you are allowed to stay out of the country for up to 180 days during the first two years, each year. After the second year, you can be out of the country for up to 5 years to keep Permanent Residency Visa status. There are heavy economic fines if a person doesn't follow these rules. 


Worker (Trabajador)

A person who is authorized to do a paid activity under an employee-employer relationship in the public service, private industry or self-employed.

Independent incomes / revenue (rentista)

A person who has its own economic resources brought from  abroad, from the income generated by those resources or any other legal income originated from external economic or any economic income generated in Ecuador, for example, a trust;

Pensioner Visa: PENSIONADO

In order to apply for a pensioner visa, you must show you have a steady income from a reliable source such as Social Security or a corporate pension. The minimum monthly income required is $800.

Investor (Inversionista): 

A person who has assets and economic resources to develop productive or commercial activities, whether investing in a Certificate of Deposit for 100 Ecuadorian minimum wages or a Real Estate property for  100 minimum wages. The minimum wage in Ecuador in 2020 is $400,00 USD.

Scientist, Researcher or Academic:

A person who is specialized in scientific activities, researcher or academics, hired by public or private entities, or for a person who is part of the Ecuadorian education system to work on their specialty. The permit to stay will be renewed according to the duration of the program.

Athlete, artist, cultural agent: 

A person who is hired by a natural person or an entity to develop activities of this type.

Religious or religious volunteer of an organization with legal authorization and duly recognized by  the Ecuadorian government:

A person who develops activities related to religion.

Volunteer (Voluntario)

A person who, by its own means or with the support of a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), in an altruistic and voluntary way, provide their services to the community according to the regulations of the Human Mobility Law of Ecuador.

Student (Estudiante)

The person who comes to Ecuador to attend Basic Education, High school education, University education, and Masters level education as a regular student in a private or public educational facility, duly recognized by the Ecuadorian government, also for people who come to do an internship program. The permit to stay can be renewed according to the duration of the study program.

Professional, technician, technologist or master craftsman

A person who comes to Ecuador to develop a profession or a technical activity, technological or handcrafted activities, under the regulation of the law that controls all of these activities. This is for professionals with a 4-year degree from a recognized college or university. Click here  to access the list of the recognized colleges and universities (please note U.S. universities are listed under “Estados Unidos”). If your university is not on the list, you will need to submit a notarized, apostilled copy of your transcript(s) to the Ecuadorian Government.

International convention (Convenio)

A person who enters Ecuador under the umbrella of what is stated in an international convention to which Ecuador has subscribed and recognized.

Dependent (Amparo)

A person who can be dependent under the visa of a person holding an Ecuadorian migratory status: Sons, daughters, spouse, or common-law partner, legally recognized by the principal of one of the migratory categories, detailed above.

International Protection

A person who has been recognized by the Ecuadorian government under refugee status, asylum or stateless, and cannot fulfill any of the requirements of the above-mentioned categories, will be able to get the migratory status of international protection.

if you have any further questions regarding what type of visa you should apply to email us at

Visit our offices

Cecilio Intriago y Arenas (next to Coco Bongo Hostel).


C.C. Manicentro, Calle 23 y Flavio Reyes, Manicentro office space 22.


Av. Diego de Almagro y Pedro Ponce   Carrasco 

Edificio Almagro Plaza, of 701.


Av 13 y Calle 52 Next to Common Grounds



Honorato Vásquez (esquina) 6-02 y Hermano Miguel.       

Book an Appointment



Ecuador:  +593 (95) 977-43-77

Toll Free North America:


Worldwide: +1-415-251-3034 

         Call us


  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Instagram

© 2020 by EcuaAssist