top of page

How to stay in Ecuador for more than 90 days

You’ve come to Ecuador and want to stay. The problem is, this wasn’t the original plan and you’re on a 90-day tourist visa. Don’t worry, you’re in a land full of spontaneity and there are ways you can stay. We’ll lay it all out for you in an easy way to understand.

Visa 12-X – Tourist visa for LESS than 90 days

This is for the average Joe who came to explore Ecuador on vacation. Exit and reentry into the country is allowed, and the visa is valid for 12 months. This means that in one year you can come in and leave Ecuador as many times as you want, as long as your total time in Ecuador doesn’t go over 90 days.

Now what happens if you come to Ecuador for vacation, fall in love with it and decide you need to stay longer? That is where the 12-IX visa comes in.

Visa 12-IX – Long term tourism, offers an additional 90 or 180 days depending on circumstances.

This is for the guy who came to Ecuador and realized that 90 days just wasn’t enough. You can extend your visa WITHOUT going back to your home country. In most situations, the visa is extended for 90 more days and is valid for a year with exit and reentry to the country. So, just like the 12-X visa, you can come in and leave Ecuador as many times as you want for a year, as long as the total time in Ecuador does not exceed 90 days.

In some cases, such as the tourist wanting to extend his visa because they want to move to Ecuador permanently, the visa can be extended for 180 days.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Take the theoretical

driver´s license



bottom of page